Friday, September 01, 2006

I Survived Week One

We should seriously have shirts made that say that we all survived the first week of the new school year, haha. Granted things were very hectic and there were times when I wanted to just pull my hair out and scream, I think this was a very good first week of school. The kids are all getting back into the groove of things and the new kids are learning the groove of things.

And the staff...well we're learning how to deal with how little staff we have. In other words, if we want to take a vacation day we need to let our director know about two months in advance. We were going to have a new girl start this year, but at the last minute (and I do mean at the last minute), she goes to Audrey (the director) and tells her that she has accepted a teaching job at an elementary school. What the heck?! She had already accepted this job!

It just makes me really angry when people pull that kind of stuff. If she was having second thoughts, she should not have accepted the job completely. I'm sure Audrey would understand. But no. This girl decided to make our lives difficult. *Sigh* Okay I'm over that. I'm just really mad that I can't go to Chicago with the rest of my family at the end of the month to visit my extended in family. We are celebrating my cousin's 1st birthday and I was planning to go...but now because of short staff, I can't. Thankfully I have the day before Thanksgiving off (I asked for it off on the 29th of August!) because 1.) we're going to Arizona and 2.) my dad already purchased my airplane ticket.

All right I'm done venting. I think.

Other than that whole debacle, this week was good. The only problem is the lead teacher in my room. It feels as though the other assistant teacher and I (yes there are three teachers in my room) are the only two who are actually doing the teaching. Gina (lead teacher) is always telling us what kind of things she has planned and they are good ideas...the only problem is that she seems to be telling Nancy and I how to do our jobs more than she does her own job. Does that make sense? If not the reason is that I've had a long week. I like Gina, but I don't like her technique and I'm pretty sure Nancy doesn't either. In fact she told me so today when Gina left the room to go do something. As soon as she left, the whole atmosphere changed. Everything seemed to be calmer. Things tense up when Gina's in the room. She gets the kids way too riled up over nothing which really bothers us. We offer to help but she always declines.

Okay so maybe I wasn't done venting. Well now I am and before I have the chance to vent about something else that is going on, I'm just going to end this entry.

-Lisa

No comments: