Tuesday, October 03, 2006

A 'Wicked' Weekend


Well as you can probably tell from both the title of this entry and of the above picture, I saw the incredible musical Wicked this weekend. Even though I have listened to the CD about 600 times before, seeing it live was so much better! Trust me, it's a great show and a great backstory to the witches of Oz. We really get an 'inside' look at what Glinda and Elphaba (A.K.A. the Wicked Witch of the West) were like when they were younger.

Now where, you may ask (or not) did I see the show? Chicago! My parents and I were invited to my baby cousin's 1st birthday and we decided to go. I was lucky enough to get the day off work -- I had asked about a month ago and my director said no since another teacher was going to be out, but I then found out that she (the teacher) was not in fact going to be taking the day off so I asked again...and thankfully my director said yes!

So we drove the 5 hours and 3 minutes (at least that's what my dad said about how long the trip took) from Dayton to Chicago. It wasn't the most exciting car ride, but I did get my parents (my mom likes it already) to listen to Wicked. My dad even liked it! And he is not a huge musical fan. We even listened to the first act of RENT (OBC soundtrack)! They liked that too.

Anyway on to Friday night. Incredible is all I can really say to describe the show. My Grandma somehow got me a seat in the 6th row (main floor), just left of center in the Orchestra section! I had one of the best views of the stage! Oh if only pictures were allowed. Unfortunately they're not. But take my word for it; I had a great time.

I also met my brother's girlfriend Shawn. She is my age (literally...she's 2 days younger than me!) and also a HUGE musical fan. So we hit it off right away. She and my brother are so cute together.

See what I mean? I took some other pictures from my cousin's party...which was a lot of fun by the way. I'll put a couple of the pictures I really liked here.

Oh and when we got home we had about 3 hours of freedom until we had to get dressed up and go to Temple for Erev Yom Kippur. And on Monday we were pretty much in Temple all day. I was SO TIRED afterwards! Not to mention rather hungry (I'm technically supposed to fast on Yom Kippur). Luckily our Temple had a "Break-the-Fast" dinner-like arrangement in the main hall of the Synagogue which was nice.

Anyway that's about it for me! Bye!

-Lisa

No comments: