Monday, August 16, 2010

My First Clay Concert Experience...

Okay, I hope that this is going to make sense because I'm still in a bit of a fog, lol. First off, I just want to say how great it was to meet a few of you guys! I wish I could have met more, but the venue filled up fast and then the show started....and well the rest is history. ;)

All right, on to the concert. I have watched a whole lot of Clack from the Timeless Tour concerts, so I pretty much knew what to expect and when to expect it. What I DIDN'T expect was to have my jaw literally drop to the floor when Clay came out from stage left (I happened to be sitting on the side he walked out of...eeee!!!!). OMG. I just have to say that he and Ruben really compliment each other well with their singing! The whole intro with FWW/TITN was hilarious. So much funnier in person! I loved the opening banter; it was little different...they didn't talk about their "similarities" very much, but I didn't care at all, hehe. Finally it was time to start the 60s with 'the King'. Clay singing Suspicious Minds...WOW. I actually got video of it!!!!! And I got video of him singing Still the One. Also Stool Banter (which was so funny...I'll get to that in a minute) and the beginning of the 90s.

All right, now onto the 70s -- oh yeah, I got Clack of the before/after (sort of anyway) banter of that and got some of the 70s too. :) Clay kissed Casey! At least I think he did. From the angle I was at, it looked like he did, but I couldn't really tell for sure. But it was so cute!!

I don't think I've ever laughed so much in my life.. Just saying...

Next! Ummm...what was next...oh yes, the stool banter. Oh my goodness, I was laughing so hard when I watched this! I pretty much got most of it on video (though all the videos are kind of grainy...oh well it was a digital camera). Anyway, Clay sat down on the stool as usual and Ruben started to lean on him, saying his feet hurt from standing for so long, etc. Clay as always just ignored him and tried to go on with how they are like variety acts. But then Ruben did something he's never done before... HE SAT ON CLAY'S LAP! I'm not joking! OMG it was soooo funny! Seeing Clay's face (and hearing him for that matter) was just too funny. I'm sure others have better details than I do with this banter, but after the whole stool thing (oh and Clay messed up the stool joke, hehe), they decided to get the audience involved! They asked for a theme song. Theme was "It's About Damn Time" (hahaha) and the music was Reggae. Oh my gosh. Ruben was HILARIOUS when he sang it! Clay was kind of cracking up too. Just great though. Clay's MTAF was out of this world!

Onto the 80s! And yes I'm sure I'm missing huge chunks of the concert.... So, it was the usual banter about what "macho" things were in the 80s vs. care bears, My Buddy (which included Ruben singing the song, taking Clay's hand and swinging it...so cute!) and then he expanded on the Care Bears! I could not stop laughing. So then they finally went into the music of the 80s. I loved all of it (especially 'Alone'...wow!!!)!!! And of course, Footloose. EVERYONE stood up when they started singing it!! Great job to both of them! Once they were finished, I didn't think there was going to be an encore, but then Clay mentioned a man who was sitting in my section. He had been dancing (seriously I saw him and he could really move!) non-stop throughout Footloose. Clay asked him how old he was -- 73! Clay and Ruben were so impressed that they wanted to see him do it again...so what did they do? ENCORE!!!!

I can't remember exactly *when* 'The Revival' took place in the concert, so I'll just put it here. Now this lasted for 12 minutes. How do I know? I got all of it on video! :) Unfortunately at this moment, I'm still in a fog so I can't remember all the details, lol. But it was great as always!

I absolutely loved Clay's intro to Ruben. You can tell that they're really great friends. :) I hope they will always stay that way. Ruben's EID was GORGEOUS. That man can SING!!

Then it was time for the 90s...oh boy. Clay said Ruben did a great job on the song, but Clay was nowhere to be seen...hmmm....Ruben asked where he was and Clay said he was coming; had to zip up the zipper on his pants, lol. Then he came out in GOLD hammer pants! OMG I was laughing so hard! It was pure genius! Ruben had to stop for a moment and turn around, hehe. So after Clay kept telling Ruben he really did know about the 90s, he decided to prove it by starting the medley. LOVED IT!

The end of the show didn't have too much banter in it; I think the two of them were kind of tired (I wonder why? ;)). Of course Ruben somehow turned back into the Preacher for a moment, hehe. Oh and just before they sang TOML, Clay caught some people about to leave....he stopped them LOL!

One of the best parts of the show? Ethel came up to the stage and asked Ruben to sign her 'Lackofrythmitis' (or however that's spelled) shirt! After some back and forth talking, Ruben finally did. :) Clay didn't, saying he was scared of her (you could tell he was completely joking since he had a smile on his face the whole time). At any rate, I'm VERY happy for Ethel!!

Once the concert was over, I looked over to my boyfriend and I asked him how he liked it. He smiled a little and said he liked it! He said he was glad I brought him with me. :) And he's now LOOKING FORWARD to coming to Cleveland with me! WOW!

All right all, this is probably the best that I'm going to be able to do here! I'll probably add comments or whatnot later when I remember more, lol. I really did have the time of my life though!

~Lisa

No comments: